Monday, November 30, 2015

City Council Meeting Times

While I was campaigning, there was a large number of voters who requested a return to our historic meeting time of 7pm. Citizens who work don't have the flexibility of attending a 5:15pm or 6pm meeting due to traffic they encounter on their way home to Windcrest & several are angry about 9am meetings as well. To a lot of citizens, it seems like those meeting times are set to deliberately disenfranchise & silence them.

I understand the mayor's desire to be considerate of our city staff & not detain them after work. However, all of  them were hired with the knowledge that they would have to attend some council meetings. Additionally, the early meeting times have only occurred during the last 4 years.

I agree with those who feel disenfranchised. We should be accommodating ALL of the taxpayers who pay the bills of our city & not just the ones who can attend 5:15pm & 6pm meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment